|Project by OhhCrap||posted 06-22-2011 10:34 PM||4139 views||29 times favorited||6 comments|
Several years ago I picked up a couple rollers to assist with longer pieces. My 1st attempt at making stands consisted of a 1” Black Iron Pipe stuck to a flange on a plywood base. The stands were mounted on a hollow pillar which fit over the pipe. Adjustment was trial and error, and when in error the dang things always tipped over.
Finally I got sick and tired of this but looking through the various catalogs I being the cheap SOB that I am figured I could build something just as good for less than the 100 plus dollars it would have cost me. Having nothing better to do with my weekend set out to build something better, the goal being STABILITY, ADJUSTABILITY and collapsible for storage. As the rollers were a gift, and the 2X lumber was salvage my total cost came in under $15.00 for nuts, bolts, iron rod and rubber feet.
The legs just slide into the main head assembly and are secured with 5/16 iron rod dowels. The nice thing is that as there is some play in the fit, the legs self level on the ground. Fine leveling adjustments are made via the screw feet. Rough height adjustments are made via a series of holes 2” on center and a iron dowel through the head assembly. Fine adjustments are made via the 5/8” bolt and a adjustment collar I made up by pressing a nut into a 3” diameter disk. This slips into a piece of plastic conduit pipe which is epoxied into the pillar.
Works slick, and no more tip overs!
-- Quality: There is hardly anything in the world that some men cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price are this man’s lawful prey.