|Project by IrishWoodworker||posted 06-21-2011 08:00 PM||1412 views||2 times favorited||6 comments|
When the Army moved us from North Carolina to Germany the panel bed that I had made six years earlier did not fare so well during the transit. I decided to break down the wood and try to make a bed from what I could harvest from the original. I really liked the Thorsen table challenge (Picture #2)that a lot of members from this site participated in and plan on making one after our next change of station to Hawaii. I did my best with the materials that I could salvage and I was not able to get all of the small details to work such as grain direction and defects. Overall I am pleased with design; I still have some leg toppers to put on it but wanted to post some pictures. I stained it with Fumed Light Oak aniline Water Dye with five coats of shellac, followed by wax after the shellac was dry. I made a lot of mistakes that became “Design Elements” throughout the bed. I am not 100% sure if I like the overall flow of the bed from the side panels to the center panel. I wanted to turn the side panels parallel instead of vertical but the size of wood that I had to work with dictated that they go vertical. I would be interested in making this bed again with fresh material and to change some elements within the overall design. Thanks for looking, and have a blessed day friends. Comments and critiques are welcome.
This bed was completed over a very, very, very long time with a patient wife. The build spanned over 15 months with a deployment to Iraq thrown in for good measure. Hopefully it makes it to our next duty assignment in one piece.
-- Dont just dream it, get up and live it!