|Project by Sanity||posted 06-19-2011 02:55 AM||5892 views||30 times favorited||10 comments|
It has been a while since I posted any projects on the LJ’s site. This is the latest – my new mobile workbench.
I had looked at the small workbenches that were available on the market and was not particularly impressed and so decided to construct my own. It was originally supposed to have been a simple design but then, as happens with a lot of the things that I do, it took on something of a life of its own.
I wanted to use a solid maple worktop for durability but after I completed the glue-up I noticed that there were some cracks in the ends of the maple, so I cut a couple of inches off each side, and added walnut “breadboard” ends. After that I decided to construct the trestle legs using a maple and walnut laminate, and also the shelf that joined them together.
As my garage is my workshop I have limited space and so everything has to be easy to move around, and consequently I needed to add locking castors. The 5 inch diameter ones that I purchased only had a stem of about an inch, so in order to flush mount them I had to make some plates out of steel, and then drill and mortise the bottom of the trestle. I used Domino loose tenon joinery all around and finished the wood with General Finshes Arm-R-Seal wipe on oil and urethane top coat.
The hardware and wood all came from the local Rocklers store, and I have to say a big thank you to all the guys there for their on-going help and advice.