|Project by jjagerson||posted 06-11-2011 02:01 AM||2747 views||7 times favorited||5 comments|
I wanted to build a stand dedicated to my lathe and grinder. I looked at several excellent examples here on the site and it inspired my own version. I hope I can return the favor for anyone looking to build a quick/cheap/stable stand of their own. As you can see in the pictures, I built it from scraps of hardwood flooring and 2×4 pine studs from HD. I didn’t spend too much time making it pretty, but it came out extremely stable and is very heavy. I am quite pleased with it. Here are some details for anyone interested.
1. The a-frame legs are made with a “three-board mortise and tenon” structure from standard 2×4 pine studs from HD. I did not bother to cut off the rounded corners (don’t you hate those?) but I did have to flatten a couple of them a bit that had twisted. The studs that were twisted the worst were cut shorter to make the inner portion of the legs. That way they were much easier to flatten with just a jack plane.
I think the structure is pretty self-explanatory in the pictures. The angle used for the cuts was 25 degrees. I just set my miter gauge on the table saw and cut them all at one time so I could keep those angles consistent and wouldn’t have to fuss with it too much. I made the “mortise” for the stretchers undersized so that I could plane the stretchers to a very tight fit. I just used tightbond wood glue and “screw clamps” to put the legs together very quickly without having to let the glue fully cure.
2. The stretchers connecting one a-frame leg structure to the other is hardwood cherry flooring that I recycle for little projects like this. They are very strong, heavy, and don’t cost anything. For scraps otherwise destined for a landfill I think they were put to good use.
3. The table top is 4 pieces of recycled bloodwood hardwood flooring. That stuff will completely destroy a tool’s edge so I basically used an old circular saw blade to cut them to length and then laminated them back to back (double thick) and joined the two strips to make a top that is about 8” wide, 1.5” thick and 7’ long. The bloodwood is extremely rigid and very heavy. It adds a lot to the structure. I cut some hickory battens and screwed them to the underside to keep the top as flat as possible since it will be virtually impossible to flatten with a plane. I joined the top to the legs with 3/8 lag bolts.
4. I have since put a base between the stretchers that I use to hold a few boxes of lathe supplies (chucks, scraps, projects, etc.) I am thinking about making a little hinged lid that would run across the top of the cherry flooring stretchers to prevent dust and shavings from getting in there – but its not a big deal to vacuum out as is when it gets a little dusty.
5. I cut up a small rubber tile that is used on patios and such and put a slice under each leg. It dampens any remaining vibration nicely, and keeps it all very quiet. I also bolted the lathe and grinder to the table top with 1/4 hex bolts, which was more than sufficient to prevent any movement or rattling.
The whole thing came out to be perfectly solid and weighs a little over 60 lbs without the equipment. I overbuilt it for my little delta midi because eventually I would like to get a larger lathe and this table would easily accommodate something with a much longer bed and bigger motor.
I spent more $$ on the screws and bolts than any other item (about $20 total in materials) and am very pleased with how it came out. I get the hardwood flooring for pennies at Slumber Sliquidators when they have remnant spare boxes.
If you are interested in any other details I would be happy to provide them.