LumberJocks

Gramophone Renovation

  • Advertise with us
Project by Don Johnson posted 06-10-2011 10:50 PM 1201 views 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Gramophone Renovation
Gramophone Renovation No picture No picture No picture No picture No picture
Zoom Pictures

This HMV Model 130A Gramophone (called Victrola in the USA I think) had been used as a plant pot stand. The top veneer had started to peel in several places, and there was a large bleached area in the centre – all caused by water leaks. (Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture of it in its awful initial state) However, I managed to scrape out some of the old glue in the areas where the veneer was curling and re-glue them. I then stripped and sanded off the remaining varnish on the top. It took about 8 coats of new varnish – plus some judicous use of touch-up pens between coats to blend in and disguise the edge of the bleached area – to get the top looking pretty close to the rest of the case. (This part of the project is made of wood, so I hope I’m not breaking the rules posting it here !)

Two springs (one broken) provided the drive for the gramophone, and they were originally coated in graphite grease. Since 1930, this grease had leaked from the spring container, over the drive and governor. As all the volatile part had evaporated, this was now like hard black putty. Getting this off was difficult, as no solvent was effective – just scraping and elbow-grease.

Removing the 14 ft long springs from their container was difficult, but putting new ones back inside was even harder – once started, there was no letting go until each was in place! It took all my strength and determination, and I ended up with as much new black graphite grease on myself and my overalls as there was on the springs. The drive mechanism was cleaned, greased and tuned, and set so that the turntable actually rotated at 78 rpm when the adjuster pointed at that figure.

Finally, some new ‘acoustically transparent’ speaker material to replace the silk front that had shredded over the years, and the unit almost looked like new!

When it actually played ‘Yes Sir! That’s my Baby’ by Hari Kari – borrowed from a friend – all the hard work was justified. When I returned it to its owner he was ‘Over the moon!’

-- Don, Somerset UK, http://www.donjohnson24.co.uk





2 comments so far

View Erik van Baarle's profile

Erik van Baarle

85 posts in 1616 days


#1 posted 06-10-2011 10:58 PM

Nice work my friend. :-)
Greetings from Belgium
Erik

-- Erik, Merksem Belgium

View BarryW's profile

BarryW

1015 posts in 2653 days


#2 posted 06-11-2011 02:35 PM

Bring the past alive….now that’s a worthy great project…

-- /\/\/\ BarryW /\/\/\ Stay so busy you don't have time to die.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase