|Project by lanwater||posted 06-06-2011 11:41 PM||2900 views||13 times favorited||29 comments|
My old plant stands by the backyard door are on their last legs so I need new ones.
This project was inspired by Peteg: http://lumberjocks.com/projects/39287
I worked mainly from the picture.
The tops are made out of oak and finished with 2 brush on and 3 wipe on coat of oil base poly.
The rest is also out of oak but finished with 3 coat of outdoor varnish.
The legs are out of recycled 3/4 oak hardwood flooring that a friend gave me.
Why the difference in finish? I did not like the outdoor varnish. SO I put oil based poly on the top. I am probably going to regret it rather quicly.
I made some basic templates for the curve on the leg and the crossmembers out of 1/4 mdf panel.
I started with the legs (16 sticks). I chose to do a pattern routing on the curves instead a spindle sander just to have everything the same.
I also drilled holes for the screws.
I then worked on the crossmembers. After cutting them to the final size, I cut the dadoes then cut the lower curve on the band saw.
I also pattern routed the cuve on those.
I had to sand the face crossmembers lightly because the dadoes were just a little tight.
I then cut the tops on my circle cutting jig. It worked like a charm: http://lumberjocks.com/projects/47285
Then came assembly… I tried to keep those sticks as square to the crossmembers as I could.
Once the base assembled I decided to inlay the top with my favorite dragon. Why inlay when they would hident but pots of plant? Just to practice and have fun.
I cut 4 pieces (2 spares) of padauck veneer aproximately 1/8 thick.
I pull my scroll saw and after a couple hours I got crap :) Never hurry! Maybe the spiral blade wasn’t such a good idea.
Collected the saw dust from the scrollsaw. Pull my dewalt (DWP611PK) palm router with the plunge base.
Router and routed out the waste. Then chisel out the corners (not really the right tool).
A quick word for Dewalt: A great tool to have, quieter and better than the bosch colt. The plunge base is a killer
Mixed the saw dust from the scrolling with some epoxy.
Spread it all over, got a nice “poop” like my son said.
The drum sander to the rescue et voila: My dragons.
The strange dots here and there are oak dust left over on the scroll saw that contamined my padauck dust.
Thanks for looking. Any criticism is always welcome.
-- Abbas, Castro Valley, CA