|Project by atceric||posted 06-03-2011 05:49 PM||1554 views||7 times favorited||14 comments|
Finished this dresser a couple of weeks ago. It was a wedding present for my daughter and son-in-law. Found some great tips on finishing cherry; they really helped a lot. I used shellac, gel stain, and wipe on oil-varnish in that order. The top, base, and drawer fronts are all solid cherry. The sides are cherry ply with cherry edging.
The plans I found in Woodsmith, but I’d make some changes if I did it again. The carcass is divided by full 3/4” plywood. That adds a LOT of weight! I think I would redesign this with much thinner dust panels. It is extremely solid, though. The top and base were modified to add more character. The top is a build up of two profiles. The base has gentle arches across the front and sides.
Overall, I’m happy with how it turned out. Every project is a number of lessons learned, though.