|Project by Shopsmithtom||posted 06-02-2011 11:33 PM||6233 views||4 times favorited||4 comments|
My wife saw a piece of log furniture (side by side chairs connected by a small table in the center) that she liked for our yard at the lake, and, being the good woodworker that I am, I said, “we don’t have to buy one, I can make it” (any one ever said that one before?)
I have the log stock from my neighbor who put in a new septic system & had to cut a bunch of small ash & maple trees. What I needed to get started was the shaving horse (bench) so I could de-bark the stuff to get going. I also have a bunch of ash slabs left from a tree I cut for boards. I saved it because I can’t seem to get rid of any wood, no matter how small, warped, or fungus laden. I decided to try to use some of that (not the fungus stuff) for the bench.
I didn’t really have any plans for this. I looked up a few pics on the web to get the basic concept. I wanted to keep it simple for a couple of reasons. First, it’s a means to an end, not the end project, and second, if I screwed anything up, I didn’t want to waste good wood or a lot of time on it. The only piece of milled lumber on it is the foot peg dowel, and I think I’m going to pull that & put in a shaved branch like I used for the legs.
I made the tenons with a bit from a relatively cheap (about $25.00 on Ebay) set of bits. I made a jig to hold the piece & used the horizontal boring feature of the old 10er Shopsmith I keep at the cottage. I then used the bandsaw to trim the piece off by rotating & cutting. (obviously, not in the jig, anymore). Tenon holes were bored with an old bit brace. It should be noted here that they really do a great job of boring larger holes when they’re sharp. I need to make one more taller piece to fit under the front end of the log for more height. I just ran out of weekend.
-- Accuracy is not in your power tool, it's in you