|Project by CanalboatJim||posted 06-02-2011 02:32 AM||2571 views||12 times favorited||10 comments|
After buying a dust collector system that wouldn’t fit my machine, I decided to make my own. The panels are 1/8” bead board that I had laying around. The sides are bolted on. The back covers are held on with magnetic tape. I used hardware store foam insulation to seal the table to the base. The hose attachments are plumbing fittings.
It works surprising well. The larger pieces are caught in the base and have to be removed, but it does a very good job a sucking up the fine dust.
I can already see a few changes that could be made to improve it. The paneling has warped a little, so I would replace it with tempered hard board. I think that I would use rare earth magnets rather than magnetic tape. That being said, it seems to work well enough that I probably won’t change anything.
-- Jim Westbrooks