|Project by Gary||posted 05-31-2011 06:33 PM||1625 views||1 time favorited||16 comments|
I think it’s GaryK that has a signature line that says to take every opportunity to make mistakes look like a creative change. Well, this project fits. I made so many mistakes that changes seemed unending. Anyway…it’s finished except for putting the hinge on.
The first “change” was with the splines. I let the box slip while cutting one of the bottom slots and to make it right, I had to go back and cut them all a little wider. That was the only real problem with the box. The lid on the other hand, posed several problems. All of them my fault. One of the worst ones was cutting on the wrong side of the line, making the ridge too narrow. Then, I set the blade too hign, making the ridge too shallow. And all of that was on the second lid. I ruined the first one while cutting the profile angle. I let the lid slip and the blade dug in. That’s why the lines. I just cut the walnut off, leaving a small line, then used maple to make the white line, then recut the outside frame of walnut. This time, I made a jig to carry the lid while cutting the profile. It’s similar to a tennon jig but, it slides on the fence.
I like these boxes and want to make more. But, I think I’ll give it a rest for a while. I’m sure I just got too comfortable with the project and moved too fast. Oh well, lesson learned…
-- Gary, DeKalb Texas only 4 miles from the mill