|Project by nailbanger2||posted 05-29-2011 07:47 PM||4354 views||0 times favorited||8 comments|
This is a project I completed at the beginning of the year. I suddenly got to thinking of the projects I have posted, and the number of them is quite pathetic, really. So, for penance, I will try to post at least one a month, at least until I am up to date. Early in January, Florida was hit with a freeze, actually, two of them. What we usually do is grab all the extra blankets and staple them onto our old orchid house, which was made by others, and horribly built. This time, while pulling the blankets down, the rotted wood also started coming down. The old one was 4×8, and couldn’t hold all our orchids, so we brought a bunch inside and had them everywhere. Tables, beds, desks, and makeshift platforms.
Here’s my solution. It’s 4×12 and 8 ft. high with a 1/12 pitch to the roof. All the lattice, and screen (west side only) are attached to cedar panels which are screwed to the inside of the PT SYP 4×4’s and 2×4 PT rafters (that are hurricane strapped to the posts). This is done so we can cover it in cases of inclement weather. For the winter, I attach plastic curtains to the sides and staple plastic on the roof (hence the pitch). In case we have another ‘cane, I can put plywood all the way around it. Pic #4 shows the plastic down, being held by cedar 1×2. I didn’t finish any of the wood, hoping it will all come to a pretty similar grey eventually.
Enjoy, and questions and critiques are welcome, as always.
I almost forgot, while building this, I had the opportunity to take care of a pet peeve of mine. “Mister” sprinklers are all throughout on two levels, so I never have to soak myself while watering again. At least not on these orchids.
-- Wish I were Norm's Nephew