|Project by leonmcd||posted 02-01-2008 04:27 AM||4662 views||3 times favorited||15 comments|
Ever have one of those projects where nothing seems to go right. It seems like a good idea and the vision in your head is great but it just doesn’t turn out the way you envisioned.
Because of the limit to a 2×4 it was necessary to make the staves for the planters 5/8” x 3/4” and I needed 30 of them 20” long to create the planters. Seemed so easy in my mind. You ever try to get 30 sticks to line up in circle while you glue them. Not so easy. Even harder when one of your staves has a knot and snaps. So now you are 1 stave short ( no more lumber in the 2×4 ). Oh well, so you roll it up and it kinda works.
Now you throw it on your lathe to turn it. I’ve turned lots of things but never a 2×4. Way too soft so wound up with lots of tearout. My original view was a nice polished wooden planter. By the time I got through patching all the tearout, I was obvious that a clear finish was not going to work. So when all else fails, paint it. I thought with enough coats of glossy paint it might look kinda like ceramic. Don’t think I quite achieved that goal either.
I also managed to miscut the cross pieces that connect the legs to the stand. Lucky I had enough material left to replace those parts.
BTW – The lower planter is trapped inside the stand. I wanted a close fit between the planters and the stand so I built the stand around it.
I’ve decided to go ahead and enter it into the 2×4 project just to give the competition some balance.
You know how I was saying that with some projects nothing goes right. Well I just ( 8:30 PM CST) tried to enter this in the 2×4 contest and apparently it is already closed. I was thinking that we would have all day on the 31st to enter our projects. Oh well.
-- Leon -- Houston, TX - " I create all my own designs and it looks like it "