or Join Now!
Pulled a Pinecone off a tree a short time ago. Here was the result.
-- David Delka
home | projects | blog
7 posts in 1896 days
Preview this project card
191 posts in 1998 days
#1 posted 05-22-2011 11:37 AM
never would have thought of trying one of those, looks like i’m going to have to rethink that. very nice pen!!!
-- Larry, North Carolina
319 posts in 2244 days
#2 posted 05-22-2011 01:35 PM
looks nice.i never would have bet a pine cone would stay together to do that.
-- may not always be right,but,never in doubt.
275 posts in 1947 days
#3 posted 05-22-2011 04:17 PM
I have heard of people using pine cones , but this is the 1st I have seen as a actual pen .
If I had a lathe I have plenty of pine cones .
-- David ; "BE SAFE BE HAPPY" Brockport , NY
5688 posts in 2640 days
#4 posted 05-22-2011 04:58 PM
You might have started a new fad…pine cone woodworking. Very nice!
2601 posts in 2349 days
#5 posted 05-22-2011 05:04 PM
Very interesting! Did you load it up with CA glue first or what? I like the effects!
Erwin, Jacksonville, FL
-- Erwin, Jacksonville, FL
12642 posts in 3428 days
#6 posted 05-22-2011 05:19 PM
Innovative. I would love to see a before photo of the cone.
-- We must guard our enthusiasm as we would our life - James Krenov
141 posts in 2223 days
#7 posted 05-22-2011 07:16 PM
I like this effect – very cool blank. Did you cast the cone in resin before turning on the lathe? Just wondering how this stayed together while you turned it.
Thanks for sharing.
-- -Jay Hartman - Morrisville, PA
105 posts in 2279 days
#8 posted 05-22-2011 08:21 PM
This is great! The pine cone has some very interesting patterns
486 posts in 2478 days
#9 posted 05-23-2011 04:10 AM
great pen. very different. what type of pine cone?? was it treated with ca or epoxy?? thanks
-- wiser1934, new york
#10 posted 05-23-2011 07:14 AM
Let’s just say that this was truly a learning experience. First of all the pinecone was still green and had not opened up yet. I drilled it out and over a few days I would put thin CA in the hole I drilled. This allowed it to harden on the inside. I glued in the tube, placed on the lathe and with extremely sharp tools I would take off just a little at a time. After each layer I again would thin CA it. After I got it to the point of being close to the final shape, I again place several coats of thin CA. Sanded it to the final shape. Thin CA again and the about 6 coats of Gap Filling CA. This definitely took some patience as it took a course of several days to complete. I just wanted to be sure all the green was sealed with the CA and that it wouldn’t explode or expand over time. I took this picture about one month after I made the pen as I have already sold it. It has stayed together very well and now I have several more in the process of getting ready to become more Pinecone Pens. I’m experimenting with “Minwax” Wood Hardener. I will post results when I’m done. Thanks for all the comments. David
#11 posted 05-23-2011 07:16 AM
Thanks David. I would be interesting if you blogged the process.
342 posts in 2164 days
#12 posted 06-15-2011 10:20 PM
i think putting it a container (that the epoxy will not bond to) and filling it up with resin then putting a vacuum to it would be a great way to do it. but i bet its easier said then done.
-- Ben L
Go to Pulse page »
©2016 Verticalscope Inc. All Rights Reserved. |
Terms of Service
DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.
Latest Projects |
Latest Blog Entries |
Latest Forum Topics