|Project by JimArnoldChess||posted 05-21-2011 03:06 PM||4454 views||6 times favorited||15 comments|
Been a while since I have posted, thankfully its been busy this year so far. I started turning and carving some classic Staunton variations. Pictured are sets done in Lignum Vitae and Purpleheart. Both were difficult to carve, the lignum is so full of oil…I ‘finished’ it by holding a cotton ball to it while it was spinning on the lathe…it looked like I had finished them with lacquer. The wood feels like bone or marble! The purpleheart was bone dry, I just recently re-sanded and re-carved the pawn heads, knights, and body shaft on the bishops and you can see the wide variation of color…in a few weeks or so it will all turn a uniform deep rich dark purple, then they’ll get oiled. I also have a set which reproduces the original 1849 Staunton designs that I’ll post shortly, it was done in Pear (a very traditional chess wood species) and ebony.
I have to admit it was fun to make a ‘normal’ chess set for a change…but I have more unusual ones waiting in the wings!