|Project by interpim||posted 1164 days ago||1014 views||0 times favorited||4 comments|
Well… this is my first bowl I have built up from several pieces of wood, instead of using a solid piece. It is about 8 inches in diameter, and probably about 5 inches tall or so. Woods used are oak and poplar, finish is wax and BLO.
This project was a real learning experience for me. First it proved to me that I need to build a sled to cut miters, my Tablesaw miter gauge isn’t good enough for segmented pieces. Second i learned that I have to be patient and let the glue dry longer before trying to turn.
This bowl almost ended up in the burn pile. I was getting ready to apply finish, and decided to kick up the speed to apply the friction wax. Well, a not quite cured glue joint and 8 inches of bowl spinning at 3200 RPM comes flying apart really quick. My spot lamp above my lathe now has a bent shield, and I had to put humpty dumpty back together again.
Although it didn’t come out as good as I would have liked it to, my wife loves it. I can’t wait to get more complex designs started when I get moved again.
-- San Diego, CA