|Project by dbray45||posted 05-06-2011 01:48 PM||1460 views||3 times favorited||11 comments|
I made this for my daughter. It is the first time I have made my own inlay and instead of using a router, I used a small plane. The walnut splintered a little making the inlay a little sloppy on the end grain edges. This happened because I did not score the wood deeply enough. I was trying to get this done for her birthday and being in hurry created a bunch of problems for myself.
The lock is a replacement from the original, another stupid thing that I didn’t do – check to make sure the stupid key works before you mortise it out. Replacement locks are almost ALWAYS smaller than the original. Normally I wouldn’t state the short falls but it is a good learning experience for NOT hurrying what you are doing.
—Her present missed her birthday.
As a side bar, walnut has a lot of stress and can twist. The lid after sitting for a couple of days developed a little twist in it. This was caused by the grain and the nature of the wood. The material is milled to 3/8” where if I had left it at 1/2”, it would have been fine.
The two inserts are cherry with velvet, the inlay is maple, cherry, and walnut.
Thanks for looking.
-- David in Damascus, MD