|Project by Rxmpo||posted 05-06-2011 04:57 AM||2826 views||1 time favorited||4 comments|
These are a set of radiator covers I was commissioned to make for a close friend and his wife. I drew up a few plans on sketchup and we worked out the details before beginning the build. The wood is hard maple. The top is attached with figure 8 clips and I added a screen on the inside to camouflage the radiator covers. The entire piece was made using mortise & tenon joinery. (Broke the steel pin in my mortiser’s arm in the process of making all of these joints.) The large piece measures ~47”x10”x27” and the smaller one measures ~28”x10”x27”. Each top has a gentle curve that we not as easy as I thought to draw. Thanks to my wife’s great idea we were able to draw a curve on the templet.
The finish was tricky. I applied a sealer coat (thanks to WW videos) to help prevent blotchy finish. First time using maple and I was concerned about all that I had read about the staining issues. Next I used a Mahogany gel stain. The colors were difficult to get consistent so I applied a very liberal amount of the gel stain and then wiped it off using a mineral spirits drenched rag. This left a very interesting light reddish color. Next i added a few coats of a water based Walnut color stain/poly mix to darken the color. Finally, 2 coats of gloss poly.
Feedback is always welcome. Thanks for looking.
PS~ Thank you Danny and Amy.