|Project by Mike||posted 951 days ago||914 views||1 time favorited||2 comments|
I finished the bassinet for my sister’s first baby who is due later this month. I built it out of some nice looking walnut I found while shopping for casters for my bench. The padded insert came from my son’s old bassinet and he also was my guinea pig for testing everything out. The wood was sanded to 220 grit and then finished with 3 coats of wax free clear shellac, buffed with #0000 steel wool between each coat. The inner curves on the bottom of the feet (picture #4) are from me having to fix a mistake. I started the project thinking I would do sliding dovetails for joinery and I took my stock down to a hair under 3/4” and the sliding dovetail I cut was just too weak and the wood broke. So I ended up doing mortise and tenons for all the joints and it came out very strong. The mortises were done w/ a plunge router and a 1/4” spiral bit, and the tenons were cut on my table saw. Unfortunately I don’t have a dado blade so it took a while to cut the tenons! Picture #3 is a close up shot of some cool figure in the walnut that I really liked.
Thanks for looking!