|Project by derosa||posted 05-02-2011 06:43 AM||1534 views||2 times favorited||7 comments|
I’d seen a couple of these on here and decided I had to make a pair of them. I managed to glue them up just before the arrival of a baby, new job, and a move so it has been about 8 months since glue up.
The wood is mahogany from my grandpa’s burn pile, padauk, and left over strips from building the crib. The only serious mistake I made was cutting with the grain first which means it is weaker, that’ll be fixed on the next pair. Minor mistake was not using a more proper band saw blade.
When it was first glued up I tried running this one through the planer and something about it caused it to be badly chewed up. I had snipe that was up to 1/16” deep in spots despite using a new set of blades that have still been working fine on other projects. Since putting it aside I started on hand tools, jointing, thickness planing and smoothing were all done with a 30s era stanley #5 that I picked up for 25.00 and a edges were done with a 12.00 1898 stanley #220 block plane. Once everything was smoothed I hit it with 180, 220, and 280 grit paper and butcher block oil. I probably could have skipped the 180 grit. Overall I’m happy with this one and will be trying some of the others in here in the future.
-- --Rev. Russ in NY-- A posse ad esse