|Project by Nick_Osbourne||posted 05-01-2011 03:45 PM||2312 views||8 times favorited||11 comments|
Finally! The jewelry box is finished! I started this box back in November as a Christmas present for my girlfriend. The spalted wood I believe is birch, out of my driveway. I had never ripped my own boards from logs before, so that was a cool experience. While the wood was drying I made the prototype box, another project that I’ve got up here (So technically this is my second box). Most of the box had been completed before Christmas, but did not have a chance to finish it through school in the spring. The wood had gone a little punky so I used a wood restoration kit. This unfortunately gave an undesirable surface, so I sanded it down and used a wiping varnish as finish.
The strip in the middle is a piece of African Mahogany my grandfather had kept for years. The little bit of accent on the top and handle is bloodwood, and the trays inside are made of cherry. I did a similar thing as the prototype where I inlaid magnets to hold the lid shut. I had learned my lesson from before about checking their orientation before I glue the plugs!
The lining if a dark green velvet and as you can see, the top trays can be taken out. Unfortunately it’s hard to tell from the pictures but the centre of the trays have a bit of a curve. This gave me a chance to try out my oscillating spindle sander!
Anyways, now it’s out of my hands. I hope she likes it!