|Project by ChuckV||posted 1046 days ago||8235 views||109 times favorited||36 comments|
I built this sled based on swirt's project. In a reply to that project, I show how I had to move the runner to the interior of the sled for my bandsaw.
After milling one of my seven basswood logs, I understood why swirt said that he would like to be able to avoid reclamping for each cut. This is what I came up with.
I added a second board that is the same length as the main sled and wide enough to hold the pipe saddles. I cut three dadoes in the top of the sled and installed T-track in them. I drilled holes through the sliding upper board for theT-bolts to pass through.
I made a first cut to get a flat surface. Then I unclamped and rotated the log to get the flat surface onto the sled surface. After that, I was able to mill the rest of the log without messing with the clamp. After completing one cut, I am able to shift the remaining log toward the blade and secure it for the next cut using the knobs on the top of the T-bolts.
I tried using the new sled today and it was a good improvement. I cut various thicknesses from 2/4 to 8/4. The update certainly increased my L/F (Lumber/Firewood) ratio.
-- “A clear conscience is the sure sign of a bad memory.” ― Mark Twain