|Project by bkhop||posted 04-24-2011 04:11 AM||1238 views||1 time favorited||4 comments|
Have recently finished two (of four) bookcases for my study. They are “cherry” – okay, not really. They are birch/birch plywood throughout. Quite a bit of the hardwood has curly figure in it that mimics cherry. The finishing regimen:
1) Round One – a thin coat of red mahogany/golden oak/black TransTint dyes
2) Round Two – a drenching coat Watco Danish Oil/Cherry Tint
3) Round Three – another drenching coat of #2
4) Round Four – wipe down remaining #2/#3
5) Round Five – mopped with Waterlox
6) Round Six – after lightly sanding smooth #5, again mopped with Waterlox
7) Round Seven – repeat #6
8) Round Eight – wax/buff
I’ve left the edge of the picture in the snapshot to show the cases next to it. The frame (which I made a couple years ago) is solid cherry. The cases are “faux” cherry and while not an exact match, it is close enough to fool the casual observer.
Two down, two more to go.
-- † Hops †