|Project by Mikesawdust||posted 04-22-2011 06:18 PM||2564 views||0 times favorited||7 comments|
This is my first comissioned project, it was a direct result of the Memorial project and I also used it as a test to check my costs as the first box I made took forever to get right. I tried a few new things with this box. First I laser cut the badge for inlay, this while easier may not be cost effective. Then I decided to try angling the joint between the top and the bottom at about 30 degrees, this is a mixed result; I like it but it limits the type of hinge I can use and I had to camfer the edges. I installed bloodwood splines on the joints and angled them, I varied the angle from 30 degrees for the upper and lower to 15 degrees for the center two, It gave an effect I liked. Finally I used leather to line the interior top and bottom edged with rosewood and installed a small tray also rosewood. Because of the hinge problem above I routed a 90 degree cut in the back at the joint so the lid will stop against the box at just over 90 degrees.