|Project by Musky41||posted 1094 days ago||1464 views||4 times favorited||7 comments|
I really enjoyed this project and my customer and I were very happy with the results. The table top was actually an old, painted, pine barn door. Sanding the door, made to two wide pine boards, revealed beautiful surface. I removed the nails and cut them down to 3/4” or so (slightly less than the thickness of the door) and reset them prior to finishing. I wanted to maintain the original old door look but didn’t want exposed nails sticking through bottom… for obvious reasons. So, after resetting the nails, I applied several top coats of water based polyacrylic clear satin made by General Finishes. Great results! I had another local woodworker turn the legs out of soft maple which I combined with soft maple skirting. The plan was never to match the top to the base which is why I didn’t go with pine. I wanted to avoid the potential knots.
-- The adventure doesn't begin until everything goes wrong.