|Project by doug_w||posted 04-20-2011 11:58 PM||5619 views||23 times favorited||22 comments|
A description of the box and the mortise and tenon joints are in my previous post. This project is about the changes I made from what I learned. The box is made of padauk and the tenons are pinned with maple & purpleheart laminations. The center pins were carved from rosewood burl with the front dragon head having a bloodwood crest. I wanted to do something different for the drawer pulls, so I created the intarsia dragon for the front, placing a thickened 3-D part of the dragon on each of the drawers so they could act as the drawer pulls. The top drawer uses the wings, the second drawer uses the dragon’s head, thickened places in the dragon body supplies the third drawer pull, and a loop in the tail provides the bottom pull. I really love the way it turned out. The wings are wenge, maple, and walnut. The dragon’s green head is poplar with ebony eyes, boodwood eye ridges and snout, a purpleheart mane, and maple teeth. The front legs are poplar with maple claws. The body is bubinga and purpleheart with a maple underbelly. Finish is lacquer.
For the drawers, I lined the bottom with velvet, but wanted to do something other than velvet lined separators in the drawers – mainly because it took forever, and was no fun to line all of those separators in my last project. This time I created strips using a purpleheart-maple-padauk-maple-purpleheart lamination and used this to both create the separator strips in the drawers as well as the insert treys for the drawers. You can see one of the treys and into one of the drawers in the third photo.
What could better than a dragon on a jewelery box, since dragons are supposed to guard treasures. I am definitely going to use intarsia overlays to enhance projects like this in the future.
-- Doug, Georgia