|Project by fernandoindia||posted 04-17-2011 11:56 PM||13929 views||85 times favorited||61 comments|
The chest is made out of cedar, salvaged from an old corner cabinet disassembled 20 years ago when we moved to our current house. Fortunately I kept the lumber in the attic for all this time.
I have been researching for a tool chest since a couple of months ago. (I don´t know why surfing the web is now called research)
I finally decided for a chest similar in size to Gerstner 92XL , but I didn´t like the fact that upper drawers are partially hidden by the front rail of the chest. So I made the upper case copying from DocK16´s blog (Woodsmith 183)
PS: This short video shows the lid and drawer opening
Overall measurement of this tool chest (HxWxD)
Cm 47x60x33 ( 18.5” x 23.5” x 13”)
Top compartment cm 8 x 56 x 26 (3.125” x 22” x 10.25”)
(4) cm 4.9 x 9 x 27 (1.93”x 3.5” x 10.625”)
(6) cm 16.5 x 3 x 27 (6.5” x 1.2” x 10.625”)
(2) cm 16.5 x 3,5 x 27 (6.5” x 1.4” x 10.625”)
(2) cm 56.5 x 4.5 x 27 (22.25” x 1.75”x 10.625”)
(1) cm 56.5 x 6 x 27 (22.25”x 2.375” x 10.625”)
Total 15 drawers
Total empty weight : A lot. This type of tool box should be placed on a roller chest.
I started building this chest by beginning of March this year. So at the end it took me 6 weekends as average. A lot of distractions, besides daily work for a living, business trips, etc. Suddenly I was required to make and finish a couple of presents, such as the last chessboard . I still have one in progress.
Cutting the boards left quite a lot of scrap. Almost all the miter ends.
Meanwhile I saw Woodworker’s Journal video. Couldn´t resist to build my Tambour Box from the corners leftovers. A fun distraction indeed.
One of the toughest parts was planning the measurements, and the cuts. Despite I choose a nice curly cedar for the small drawer fronts. I needed to redo some of them, and lost the nice continous grain pattern. (It could be worse)
For the measurements, I picked up Gertsner measures, and made the carcass. Measures of the drawers were taken from the dry assembled case.
I include a style and rail horizontal drawer separator dadoing the sides of the carcase. I did also make 3 vertical separators for the small drawers.
Trying to get aligned the drawers as much as possible was also a challenge. Got to get things right in four dimensions. Length, width, depth, and grain pattern !! I almost forgot about that. Knowledgeable people only concentrate in grain and design. I need to concentrate in the basics, just to say to protect my fingers. (Still a long way to go)
Drawers are standard tongue and groove jointed, and lined up with green vinyl.
Lid is box jointed in the sides with a mitered inlay in the borders. Piano hinge and neumatic support.
I know, that piston has nothing to do with this stile. But I liked the way it worked. I may change it in the next one.
Hope you enjoy.
-- Back home. Fernando