|Project by ghazard||posted 04-15-2011 01:09 PM||1453 views||3 times favorited||2 comments|
My parents moved into a new house about 18 months ago and in the basement was an unfinished bar, roughed out with pine. So, I got to put “clothes” on it!
The top is Walnut ply because I quickly realized that I didn’t have the shop, or the tools, for a solid glue-up that big. The front is solid walnut slats all ripped from a single 8/4×8’ x 14” board. It was a monster, by far the largest single piece of wood that I have bought. Ripping off slats (the edge grain of the original board became the face grain of the slats.) on my 10” contractor saw (only after crosscutting it into 2 4’ lengths.) was interesting but I managed to get a pretty good result.
Zebrawood trim on the top and 4 zebra slats on the front. Once finished they didn’t stand out as much as I had envisioned. I had a piece of Zebra left over and wanted to tie in the look of the zebra more so I made a little cutting board to sit on the top.
Finish is poly. 3 coats on the front and umpteen coats on the top…I don’t remember exactly.
If was fun to do and I was happy with the way it ended up.
Thanks for looking.
-- "Hey, you dang woodchucks! Quit chuckin' my wood!"