|Project by NBeener||posted 04-13-2011 07:07 PM||2251 views||1 time favorited||15 comments|
“Ronnie” is my wife’s (female) cousin.
Ronnie … is coming up on Month Six of Sobriety.
I’d imagine that some of you know that …. this is a huge accomplishment—not only coming to that place where you recognize that alcohol is NOT doing you any favors, but … actually quitting the bottle, and … actually staying quit—to me—is huge.
And is a thing worthy of commemoration and celebration.
So this one’s for Ronnie.
It’s yet ANOTHER project that … I’ll probably do again—another identical box.
I made mistakes, and left the box pretty imperfect, despite trying to clean up a few messes, here and there. I know the second one of these … I could pretty much get right.
Trust me: the camera, and the flash make the mistakes look MUCH worse than they truly look, when you’re just looking at the box in person.
So … the story:
DTs cut with my P-C 4212 jig.
Walnut bought, as cutoffs, cheaply, from a local custom door fabricator. Box sides, and frames for lid and base
QSWO left over from my wine tower project—top panel, hinges
Some sort of Cherry, resawn, for the veneer on the top of the base.
Note the keyed miters, on the lid. I know, I know … many of you would have used a contrasting wood for the keys, but … in part because it’s end grain, and darkened readily with the stain … I decided to go with the rather more understated walnut keys, too.
My usual finish—about five coats of Watco, in Natural. The first three were flood coats, allowed to sit for about 30 minutes, and then wiped off.
The last two were wet/dry polished-in coats—the 3rd, using 400 grit; the 4th, using 800 grit. In both cases, the box was flooded with the Watco, and then polished in.
The final is a coat of paste wax, applied with 0000 steel wool, and then buffed off with a baby-soft cloth diaper.
Thanks for stopping by. All comments and criticisms are welcome. If you figure out that my woodworking isn’t perfect … well … you won’t be telling ME anything new :-)
-- -- Neil