|Project by RickB||posted 04-13-2011 04:41 PM||4704 views||0 times favorited||3 comments|
So, I’ve been working on this since last summer. Maybe June. I don’t remember, exactly. All I remember is buying all the lumber on a warm sunny Sunday afternoon.
So, here it is. Murphy bed #1 completed. I have two planned. We went with the two twins instead of the one queen because we think unmarried guests would be more uncomfortable sleeping together than married guests would be sleeping apart. I am glad we went that route, seeing how heavy this thing is. I would have never been able to get it up from the basement shop.
The room is so small that I could not get back far enough to get a picture of the whole thing.
The wood is red oak veneered plywood, red oak boards for the face frame and lacewood for the panels. The face frame design comes unashamedly from pictures that Chris Davis has posted here.
The future plan is murphy bed number two placed along the same wall. A skinny bookcase will also be installed between the beds. Probably a door on the bottom of that book case. Then we are unsure… maybe a bookcase on top of the whole kit and kaboodle, or maybe just topping it off with some crown molding. It took me 9 months to build one bed, I think I have plenty of time before we make that decision.