|Project by SPalm||posted 04-10-2011 08:35 PM||7353 views||50 times favorited||50 comments|
I have thought about different ways to do a ‘weaved’ design and this one has been rattling around in my head for quite a while. I was thinking that adding a slight curve to one of the directions might add some dimension to it. Not sure it worked, but I think the result is quite simple and pleasing. Kind of weave, kind of bamboo, kind of like a bunch of D-cell batteries stacked in rows.
I ripped 1 inch strips of maple and drew a long triangle on their tops so that I would be able to put them back into their original positions. I then took them over to the bandsaw and cut them into curved pieces. I used circle/radius cutting setup with a fence and a 1/4 inch blade. The base of the jig was clamped to the table and never moved. I made a simple indexing pin (dowel) on the left side of the blade that I could push it forward like a stop block to create repeatable lengths. I would pull this pin back slightly to get out of the way while swinging the cut.
I marked the top of an identically sized stick of walnut. I did not care to put the walnut pieces back into their original positions, but the curve on the left might not be exactly the same as the curve on the right, so I did not want to put a piece in upside down. I then used the same basic technique to cut all the small pieces.
I did a simple glue-up of the individual sticks. I just pressed them against a reference board that was clamped to my bench. I used a piece of marble covered with wax paper as the bottom flat reference. I just pressed the pieces together for about 5 minutes, moved the subassembly aside, and then started on the next row. After the rows had dried overnight, I lightly drum sanded the sides flat and glued them all together. Then I let the whole shebang dry overnight and surfaced it. The finish is mineral oil.
All in all, quite a relaxing build. Comments or suggestions always welcome.
-- -- I'm no rocket surgeon