|Project by TIS||posted 04-07-2011 04:57 AM||12809 views||52 times favorited||27 comments|
Hi Everyone!!!!! Never owned a router table so I figured I would build one for my first one! I guess you can say I based the original idea off of Norm but definitely added my own things to it. So here it is:
The main body is built from birch ply with maple edging and maple framed drawers. I put the same high pressure laminate on the drawer faces as the top. The 2 bottom drawers have 250lbs metal bearing slides and the rest of the drawers have basic metal slides. There are 3 large bit drawers on the left. One hidden drawer in the upper left and every drawer has its own unique dividers to keep me organized.
The top is made from a solid maple slab 1.5”x25”x42”with a HPL for the surface and edged with maple. Larger then what I’ve seen on the market but I like the fact the table seems more stable being a bit larger. Plus the storage space I get with it is invaluable. The top is 100% adjustable up and down. I fabricated 6 adjustable screw type plates that can raise or lower the top in the middle and sides, that I can adjust to make the top totally flat if need tweeking.
Used a new 3.25 horse porter cable router base with a micro adjusting pinnacle lift. Very impressed with how precise the lift is. So I had to make the fence with the same adjustment.
I used a 4”x4” piece of extruded aluminum square tube for the fence. Got lucky and scored a 48” piece free which was scrap from a glazing company in town. Saved about $300 doing some shopping around rather then purchasing new.Cut an “L” out of it then infilled it with Maple and HPL to make the base of the fence. I used the scrap piece to make the top extended fence using the same method. Used HPL covered maple for the Sub fences and Mini t-slot tracks for the feather boards and movibility of the sup fence in and out. Created a bit guard from same material and 1/2” plexi. One the back of the fence I used 4 large lockdown knobs to ensure no possible movement or flex of the fence when applying pressure to it. Used a store bought dust collect shroud. Y fitting off the back which incorporates dust collection from the cabinet and from the fence itself. Forgot to put it on when I took the pictures… I have to say this unit is absolutely dust free during use. I bought a micro adjust from Rockler which I modified to work off of a t-track on the top of the table for those little movement to dial the fence in.
There’s a safety switch on the side that is wired throughout the inside of the cabinet to hide all wires exept for the lead coming out of the back. It slides on 5 locking casters.
I’ve made a lot of unique jigs off this table so far. Definitely couldn’t of done them without such a precise table. Will post as soon as I remember to take some photos.
I think this table should hold up to beating over time….guess we’ll see!!!!! lol