|Project by TopamaxSurvivor||posted 04-04-2011 09:31 AM||3978 views||0 times favorited||31 comments|
The title pretty much says it all ;-))
Edit & hint: I made it to do a little maintenance project at the house
Edit 2: it hinges at all the joints.
Edit 3: It was a “drain chain drag line” to clean out the waste water system that has filled with some sediments. I changed it to a “shovel” which works a little better.
The second picture is the swively part I made so the drag line could be pushed in, rolled over and it would open to pull the dirt out. I the first metal piece I used was a fairly stiff can lid, but it bent off to the side. I had only used one screw to hold it, but it was obvious I need to use two on the next part I made. Now, a new issue, splitting the swively part with two screws in it and pressure on it as it pulled the dirt out and caught in the corrugations of the plastic drain pipe. I wrapped it with #14 copper wire to solve that and soldered it to hold it in place. Not a very good job of soldering. I didn’t want to have any more heat on the oak any longer than absolutely necessary.
The drag line didn’t work out very well. I could feel dirt being pushed further back and I wasn’t getting much out. I decided to make a shovel. It worked better. It went all the away into the T about 4 feet in.
Today, the rains came and I still have a clog around the corner in the T. I went to the next down spout, poked a hose in it and it did not back up to the catch basin. The hose fill the depression in the driveway in a couple minutes, so I guess I’ll have to dig up the T and use it to go in around the corner ;-(
-- Bob in WW ~ "some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence