|Project by Wil||posted 04-04-2011 04:01 AM||10105 views||4 times favorited||8 comments|
My son and I spent some time last weekend building new hive stands for two new beehives. We have read a lot about using a screened bottom board to reduce Varroa mite infestation in beehives. Several sources claim that you can completely do away with the bottom board (even in the winter). Our winters can be quite windy and cold, so we decided to include a slide-in removable bottom board…just in case.
We also decided to combine both the “hive stand/landing board” and Varroa screen bottom board into one single unit. These are usually sold as two seperate units, but it didn’t make sense to build them that way.
I finally got a chance late last week to paint and install the hives. I placed them facing east so the girls will get up and around in the morning, but with a tree not far to the west to shade the hives from the late-day hot summer suns. The stands are on legs to increase the effectiveness of the Varroa screen, and to put the hive bodies above all but the deepest of snows. I put wire fencing around the hive to keep out marauding goats, and placed landscape cloth and mulch underneath to suppress weeds and tall grasses.
The girls are due to arrive next weekend!