|Project by greengarage||posted 04-03-2011 03:02 AM||3392 views||10 times favorited||11 comments|
Here’s my first whack at following a plan. I’ve built a few thrown together workbenches/tables and a bookshelf for my kids before they were born over 10 yrs ago but this is the first thing I’ve built from a plan. I wanted to try it with some scrounged plywood I got for free and make mistakes on it rather than trying a bookshelf or something else nice out of oak or cherry and really screwing things up. Have been a looong time lurker on LJ but this is my first post. Had a ton of fun building this cart and all of the drawers. I opted to use finish nails and glue rather than the woodscrews as specified in the WOOD plans. I also opted not to put the 1/4” back on the cabinet b/c I found it makes it impossible to clamp items to the work surface all the way around the top. My DeWalt miter saw fits perfectly on top and it sure beats using it on my hands and knees on floor of the garage. Only thing left is possibly a 3/8 inch tempered hardboard top and some edge banding and ugh… some sort of finish. The most expensive thing was the casters. They were about $15-17 or so a piece but rated around #250 ea and have urethane tires. The brake locks the wheel from rolling as well as pivoting and there are dolly wheels at each corner so it can be pushed in all directions vs two fixed and two dolly wheels that would steer more like a shopping cart. I showed my better half the WOOD magazine that the project was in and told her to thumb thru the magazine and see if she could pick out what I was trying to build and she correctly ID’d it so now I’m cleared in hot to build a “nice” bookshelf we both picked out of a 2005 or so issue. Thanks for looking!
P.S. The reason the bottom drawer spacing looks off is b/c there are 3/4 in thick runners or skids that go on the bottom of each drawer and I haven’t put them on yet. They’re stacked in the cubbie above the drawers. The drawers come all the way out and can be used as totes with handles on both ends. The runners make them so they sort of interlock when removed and stacked on top of one another. If there’s any interest I’ll try to get better pics. Thanks