|Project by Tim Dorcas||posted 01-21-2008 05:26 AM||4156 views||31 times favorited||14 comments|
After getting frustrated at using my Osborne EB-3 for miters I decided to make a miter jig. You can see the results in the middle picture. Everything worked great until I decided to add some scrap Walnut to the edges. Accuracy immediately went out of the window. I thought I would be able to save it somehow but if it’s not accurate what’s the point?
This weekend I decided to make another one. Looking around for base material I found a cabinet door that I had bought from IKEA for $2. It was smooth, strong and looked nice. When I made the last miter jig, I made a bunch of runners. This turned out to be a boon. 20 minutes later I had the runners attached to the base. After squaring up some plywood I was ready to go.
The last time I cut this, I did this with my EB-3 and I was off slightly. This time I decided to use my crosscut sled. Using my speed square as a brace, I managed to get a perfect cut. It was all down hill from there. This time I did not touch the edges! Some glue and screws and some brads, you can see the result. This sled is very accurate and used in combination with my shooting board, I can now get my miter joints perfect.
I think it’s a measure of where I am at as a woodworker that the jig is not only accurate but also reasonably pleasing to the eye.
-- www.craftedbytim.com - A Woodworking & Renovation Blog & www.craftedbytim.com - I make. You buy.