|Project by shopdog||posted 03-31-2011 04:14 PM||11357 views||7 times favorited||14 comments|
I built this unit yesterday, for a client. It did involve some woodworking. I used 5/4×10 clear poplar, and I had to cut them to size, round over the edges, drill the holes, and sand. Drilling the holes required some measure of exactitude, as the outside diameter of the pipe was 1 1/16”, and I used a 1 1/8” forstner bit…for a tight tolerance…very little wiggle room. I brought one of those cheapo portable drill presses, but ended up free handing the holes.
For pipe, I used 3/4” black pipe from HD, except for the galv. flanges (they didn’t have them in black).
The fittings used were elbows and T’s, and flanges, and (6,8,12 and 18”) pipe.
It took 5 hours to install, after about 6 hours of research and prep.
I usually build built-in bookcases, but her budget was small. She handed me a photo that she printed from the web, so that was all that I had to go with as far as a plan. I enjoyed the build, and now I have a low cost bookcase alternative for people with small budgets.
It is very, very sturdy.
Thanks for viewing
-- Steve-- http://www.urbanexteriors.biz