I designed this stool as a project to learn some knew skills and exploring the addition of wood turnings to my designs and woodworking. The main skill I was looking for is consistency, which is shown in how close I could replicate each leg to the first.
As far as the aesthetic goes, it’s my own design. I’ve always enjoyed the look of a tapered leg though I wanted some decoration to liven the piece and figured that the legs are the easiest design element to alter to make an impact, so I chose to emulate the spade foot design of Chippendale type period furniture. I also added an element of texture to the top by chip caving a series of concentric impressions leaving the edge to serve as a contrast and border.
Despite a few obvious flaws I think it came out good.
Beside the legs the only tools I used were a bandsaw, drill press and a Stanley #6 (for the blank); a handsaw and chisels(for cleaning up the wedged tenons); and a gouge chisel(for the textured relief); also a rasp and sandpaper (for cleaning up and the edge treatment on the seat)