|Project by ferstler||posted 03-28-2011 10:00 PM||1418 views||2 times favorited||1 comment|
On the 19th of this month I illustrated two lamps that I made out of solid cedar. They cost little to build, and they allowed me to make good use of a new Ridgid 4510 jobsite saw that I had recently purchased. I put the two lamps in our guest bedroom.
I have now made another lamp, this time for my sister. I had wood and other materials left over from previous work, and so I decided to lump them together into something different.
The side strips on the lamp are mdf, painted brown. The edges of the thing are select pine, stained brown. The top was cut with a band saw from a solid piece of walnut and the bottom was cut from a solid piece of cedar. The top pin and finial were cut from select pine chunks. The whole thing was then coated with urethane, and since both walnut and cedar darken with that kind of coating, no stain was needed on those pieces. This is a straightforward glue-up job, with bevels via my Ridgid jointer, cuts by my new saw, Ridgid miter saw, and the bandsaw, and the sanding work done freehand with my 6/48 Craftsman bench sander – using its 9-inch disc feature. Hand sanding was done, too, of course.
The wiring is standard and the shade was picked out at Lowe’s by my wife. Its style matches the beveled-edge look of the lamp. The main cost was the shade, with the only other expense being the socket and the cord. I had everything else on hand.
Construction time was one week, an hour or two of each of three days, with the rest of the time involving urethane dry time. I spent more time cleaning up my tools after the project than making the lamp.