|Project by Brrman||posted 03-23-2011 at 09:56 AM||2455 views||3 times favorited||8 comments|
I have been working on the blanket chest for a year or more. It actually did not start off as a chest, but as a disguised cat litter cabinet, believe it or not. But it was taking me so long to complete that we went ahead and bought a litter cabinet (we have 4 cats so concealing the litter boxes is a priority for us).
Anyways, I decided to make this into a chest since we didn’t have one, and storage is always needed. The maple panels are simple 1/2” cabinet grade maple ply I had left over from a built-in project. I decided to use a mixture of sapwood and heartwood for the walnut because I like the contrast and figure.
The chest is lined with cedar, finished with oil based poly on the outside, and General’s water-based poly on the inside (bottom only) to prevent the outgassing onto the contents of the chest. I used a pair of 60lb self supporting hinges from Rockler which work great. All in all this was a very fun project. The joinery was more complex than I have ever done (no nails in this sucker).
Oh – I also made sure the legs of the chest were high enough so that our Roomba vacuum can drive under it. hah hah
-- "Being a perfectionist does not make one perfect..."