|Project by wildbill001||posted 03-20-2011 04:34 AM||1956 views||0 times favorited||1 comment|
In the past when I needed to cut long boards/molding on my mitersaw, I would just wrestle with it. But this current project (new floor molding) was just getting out of hand. So I looked around the garage and the web for some ideas.
The stand the saw is on is one I built a while back. It’s open on three sides because I used to keep my planer on the bottom shelf. Didn’t want to spend time rebuilding that so I had to come up with a way to attach some wings. Then it hit me, wing-nuts!. The second picture is a close-up of one side. Two 5/16 bolts, washers, and wing-nuts hold it to the frame. The diagonal board is just a 1×4 I had, sawed to “close-enough”. The end sits on a wooden cleat. I knew I was going to have to have some method of adjustment.
At first I thought of cutting a slot, adding another board, some means of tightening the whole mess. As I was looking in my hardware, I found a few 1/4” t-nuts. So I decided to try those and that is what you see in the third picture. Cut a 2” piece of 1/4” all-thread, added a 1/4” nut, drilled a deep hole in the end-grain, pounded the t-nut home and there you have it.
Takes only a few minutes to add or remove. Best of all, everything was in the cut-off bin except for the wingnuts. Total cost: about $2.00.
-- "You can tell the pioneers by the arrows in their back" -- Unknown