|Project by JPWHIT||posted 03-20-2011 12:08 AM||3042 views||5 times favorited||14 comments|
Ok so this project is a few months old now. Work has been keeping me busy here recently. anyway…......
Back in January our neighbor said that she was throwing a Bloody Valentine party and that it would be gangster theme and to dress the part. Well being as I am blessed with this ability to turn wood into projects I decided to make some Tommy guns to go with the theme.
I always forget to do a blog or a tutorial as I start my project it never fails its when I am putting the finish on is when I smack my fore head and soy dang it! @%#^& forgot again. I Did some research before I started this project. I found pictures off the internet and specs to ensure I would be as realistic as possible. The best way to maintain the form was to blow up picture that I printed out. I just scaled it to ensure that it would be 36 inches long, the length or a real one.
Barrel. 3/4 inch conduit.
Muzzle suppressor 1 inch wood dowel
the rest of the body of the gun and drum 2x pine stock
I sanded, contoured and shaped the body of the gun and hand grips using an angle grinder with flap wheel and my files.
I cut the gun out as one piece at first then using my scroll saw I separated the hand grips and trigger assembly from the main receiver so that i could mill them down and give them a realistic look. After milling I re-attached them using wood dowels and counter sunk screws that I plugged up.
Finished it with pre stain. and a 50/50 blend of walnut and red oak stain. Used rustolioum black paint to finish everything else.
-- Measure once, then twice and cut only after you made sure your good. John Paul