|Project by Olaf Gradin||posted 01-17-2008 02:33 PM||5189 views||7 times favorited||14 comments|
I made up a jig out of a magazine recently for my table saw. It’s a simple, but effective miter extender. I put forth the unnecessary effort of adding a spline joint to the design (using padauk as the spline material). I did it because the glued butt joint called for looked weak. What I didn’t realize until later was that the article said to note grain direction on this part to insure that your were not gluing end grain. I didn’t note grain direction – something I really need to pay more attention to. When I read this part later, I realized that my spline joint was ineffective as a strengthening measure because it was glued to end grain on one piece and long grain on the other. Of course, in a piece such as a marking slide on your table saw jig, this matters very little. It will not likely encounter the force to break it unless it gets dropped or something. So in the end, I added a pretty red spline for aesthetics and a learning experience. Oh well.
The project was made using magnolia for the length, sycamore for the stop-block, and padauk for the spline.
-- It takes a viking to raze a village. &mdash Blog'r: http://www.gradin.com