|Project by Douger||posted 03-16-2011 08:04 PM||1730 views||2 times favorited||7 comments|
After a failed first attempt at making a marking gauge, I broke down and bought one (Rockler had one on sale a few weeks back), but when I realized it would be handy to have more than one around the shop, I revisited my failed marking gauge project, and came up with one that works really well. The main body block is made of mahogany that I salvaged from a built-in bookcase that I removed from my home years ago during a remodeling project; the bar is made of figured maple that was once part of an unfinished cabinet door that a friend gave me many years ago. I bought a threaded insert and a thumbscrew for about $1.50, and it works great. Now I’ve got two marking gauges in the shop, and I like it.
-- Doug, Kansas, http://newwoodshop.wordpress.com