|Project by KnickKnack||posted 03-16-2011 02:17 PM||1859 views||2 times favorited||3 comments|
I thought I’d try something a little more “normal” for a change, and also try some different, and more difficult, techniques in the design. Consulting the list I decided to give the coat rack a go.
And here it is – I’m not sure I managed “normal”, but I certainly did do a number of things I hadn’t done before – 45° joins, with splines, and wedged through tenons. It all went pretty well – not perfectly, by any means, but I managed tight fitting, rounded sided, tenons – I guess perspective makes them look off-square in the picture, but they aren’t. The wedges aren’t very good – I used the wood in the wrong orientation on the front (the ones at the back, that no-one will ever see, are done correctly – lol)
I’d done some tests on ammonia fuming ash and beech. The beech changes very little – it’s almost unnoticable. But the ash reacts quite strangely. It’s hard to see in the picture – the best description I can come up with is slightly more honey-coloured, acacia honey to be even more specific. The pine splines (which are purely decorative since the oak frame is attached to the beech back) doesn’t change at all.
In the light of the tests I decided to fume it all post-construction. The last 2 pictures show it before, and during, 24hr fuming with 25% ammonia.
Oak, ash, beech, pine – oil/varnish/thinner finish.
As always comments, thoughts, criticisms, etc – all are welcome.
-- "Do not speak – unless it improves on silence." --- "Following the rules and protecting the regulations is binding oneself without rope."