|Project by CharlieM1958||posted 03-13-2011 12:20 AM||5154 views||17 times favorited||67 comments|
After many trials and tribulations, not the least of which is red dust everywhere and on everything, I finally finished the project made from the padauk given to me by my friend Gary E. , a Lumberjocks lurker.
Finish is wipe-on poly. I used satin on the legs and apron, and gloss on the top, bringing it to a mirror finish with automotive polishing compound and carnuba wax. The contrasting light wood is some “mystery wood” salvaged from the renovation of the old library at the university where I work. Sanding bleed-over from the padauk was a bear to deal with, but I think it came out okay in the end. After my first attempt at using BLO as a finish ended in a pink, muddled mess, I sanded everything back and hit it with compressed air to remove the red dust befire applying the poly. Afterwards, I was wondering if sandblasting would be good for that. If anyone has tried it, let me know.
Thanks for looking, and all comments/criticisms/questions are welcome.
-- Charlie M. "Woodworking - patience = firewood"