First toy I have made for a while, this is for my new grandson.
I used a plan out of an old English book (I have recently moved to California from the UK), I have previously made some of the other toys from the same book so know that the plans are reasonably trustworthy.
I glued two 3/4 red oak pieces together for the main body, wheels are all sections cut off old bedhead supports on the table saw (don’t have a lathe as of yet), driver is the same. He is loose enough in his hole to rattle but impossible to get out and plugged from below (see third picture). Rear wheels and spare are glued to axle but also a slot was cut in the end of each axle and a wedge shaped piece of oak shaving hammered and glued in to provide extra security against wheels coming off. The front wheels axle holes are slightly offset from centre so the car bobs up and down as you push it along. Finished with gloss tung oil (hopefully drool-proof). Just need him to grow up a little so I can get onto the larger and more complicated ones!