|Project by RTosto||posted 03-11-2011 03:04 AM||3562 views||3 times favorited||7 comments|
This is the second bentwood ring I made, also from birch.
I decided to try a ring with an “inlay”, but since I only had one type of wood, I stained the outside bands heavily but left the inlay and the liner unstained. As I found out before, the stain sands off easily, so I actually re-stained the outer bands a few times before finishing. It’s kind of cheating, but hey, it’s just practice!
I made this thing massive because I figured it would be easier to handle and I could just sand it down later. I planned it to be a thumb ring so I thought I’d want it wide, but once I started test fitting it I realized a wide thumb ring feels more like a cast!
You can see the seams very clearly. I didn’t mean to sand that much off the outside and was surprised to see the starting edges again, but I noticed half way through that a piece of rubber glove had torn off and gotten stuck in the plies! After cutting the piece of blue rubber glove out, it took a lot of sanding to fix it… lesson learned!
I also accidentally glued the inside of the ring to a screw driver while applying the finish and tore off a huge chunk of wood from the inside. I was able to carefully replace the chunk and sand it down before refinishing it, and now you can barely tell.
Besides some obvious flaws, and near disasters, it came out OK. A little finishing and polishing hides a lot of errors!