|Project by RTosto||posted 03-10-2011 10:59 PM||1990 views||2 times favorited||7 comments|
This was the first bentwood ring I made.
It’s made from birch, which I attempted to stain before wrapping. I only had access to birch at the time and wanted a darker look. Once I started sanding I noticed that the stain did not penetrate very deep (I did not use a pre-conditioner) and as I sanded through a few layers, I kept it sort of mottled since I liked the effect.
Assembling was a royal pain. Although I had everything prepared and mentally rehearsed beforehand, I still got stuck to it a lot! You really gotta move fast.
I sanded this from 220 to 400, 800, wet emery, then micromesh. I finished it with a few layers of CA, which was also sanded in similar steps. I wrote on the inside “2 Cor 5:17”, one of my favorites, with a sharpie just to see if the CA would dissolve the ink.
The inner seam is very visible. It also ended up substantially over sized from my target, which is why I couldn’t really smooth the seam very much.
I learned some valuable lessons from this one, and I might play with the shallow stain and layered look later. Nothing like learning something new!