LumberJocks

Makore / Walnut Counter-Top

  • Advertise with us
Project by Picken5 posted 1224 days ago 1318 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch

Well I guess this is more of a breakfast bar than a counter-top. I took out the old particle-board w/plastic laminate counter in our kitchen and built a new counter/breakfast bar from Makore and trimmed it in Walnut. I’d never done a counter before so I’ll admit I had a few challenges—such as trying to figure out how to clamp some areas when there’s nothing underneath. (The entire thing rests on a 2×4 half-wall that was already there when I got started. The back part of the L-shaped counter is barely wider than the wall.) Creating the radius wasn’t too tricky—but creating the inside radius for the Walnut trim to go around the radius in the Makore took some careful consideration in order to get them to fit tightly to each other. I finished it with Fornby’s wipe-on tung-oil finish. (Another first for me.)

-- Howard - "Time spent making sawdust is not deducted from one's lifetime." - old Scottish proverb





4 comments so far

View chrisstef's profile (online now)

chrisstef

10260 posts in 1592 days


#1 posted 1224 days ago

Looks great Howard and a very nice job on the trim work with the walnut. The wife is thinkin about redoing our countertops in walnut and im thinking about the new jointer ill need to do it.

-- "there aren’t many hand tools as awe-inspiring as the #8 jointer. I mean, it just reeks of cast iron heft and hubris" - Smitty

View TomRash's profile

TomRash

42 posts in 1577 days


#2 posted 1224 days ago

looks great! How did you attach it to the wall? I was thinking about doing something similar in my house.

View Picken5's profile

Picken5

117 posts in 1278 days


#3 posted 1224 days ago

Thanks for the compliments guys. TomRash – I started with a base of MDF cut to size. I leveled it with shims and screwed it to the top plate of the half-wall. I attached the Makore to the MDF with glue. The Makore was a bit warped and twisted, so I also toe-nailed the edges to the MDF with brads using an brad-nailer (air operated) and then angle-screwed the edges of the Makore to the MDF to strengthen the attachment while the glue dried. Additionally, I used my plate jointer with biscuits to join the edges of Makore boards to each other. May have been overkill, but I didn’t want to take a chance on the boards pulling up later.

-- Howard - "Time spent making sawdust is not deducted from one's lifetime." - old Scottish proverb

View Ken90712's profile

Ken90712

14821 posts in 1775 days


#4 posted 1223 days ago

Looks great, your finish look perfect as well. Overkill is a good thing at times! LOL I tend to do that as well.

-- Ken, "Everyday above ground is a good day!"

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase