|Project by Bearpie||posted 03-07-2011 12:02 AM||1601 views||7 times favorited||12 comments|
Thanks to Britboxmaker for encouraging me to step out of my comfort zone and make this design! It wasn’t easy and I went through several discards while making this. The rings had to fit perfectly so I made them slightly larger and sanded them down on my drum sander and my belt sander little by little till they fit snugly then I had to cut each piece so I can have the effect of the wood going over and under the other rings. This part was not as difficult as I had thought it would be as I had the thickness of the other rings to play with where they “crossed”. It was also tricky not to forget to keep all the grains in the rings running in the same direction! I also put splines on the edge of the board in the corresponding color of the rings as shown in picture 2, 3 and 6. I decided to use splines on the side of this board to keep it from splitting. I used a butt joint on the splines instead of a mitre joint so the wood of each side is carried over to the next instead of being just on one side. Picture 4 shows the circle cutter that I used for this project and picture 5 shows the “working side” of this board. This cutting board is Maple and the rings and splines are Purple Heart, Yellow Heart, Padauk and Brazilian Cherry. I used a Salad Bowl Finish on this and a coat of Bee’s wax.
As usual comments and critiques are welcomed!
Erwin, Jacksonville, FL
-- Erwin, Jacksonville, FL